Applying for Affiliation with BMSIS
Thank you for your interest in joining the Blue Marble Space Institute of Science as an affiliate.
BMSIS does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, national origin (including limited English proficiency), sex, age, or disability. However, please note that scholars who are currently pursuing degrees at the undergraduate or graduate level are not eligible for affiliation.
We have two separate pathways for affiliation with our organization: the Research Scientist track and the Science Communication & Education track. To be eligible for either track, you must be either: (1) An independent scholar seeking a primary affiliation and academic community, or (2) a scholar with an existing institution who is seeking a secondary affiliation to engage with our community.
Applying for Affiliation in the Research Scientist Track
Our Research Scientist track is fitting for those who are actively pursuing scientific research, regularly publishing in peer-reviewed academic journals, teaching research skills at universities or other institutions, and/or who require affiliation for the submission of grant proposals for research activities.
Affiliation as a research scientist or investigator is reserved primarily for those who have completed doctoral (PhD) and other professional level degrees (MD, JD/JSD, etc.). However, we are willing to consider applications from outstanding applicants who have completed Masters level academic degrees as well. Applicants with a proven record of work in the realms of research, education, and community engagement are preferred.
Applying for Affiliation in the Science Communication & Education (SC&E) Track
Our Science Communication & Education (SC&E) track is fitting for those who are actively working in science communication (through any variety of media), regularly publishing in peer-reviewed academic journals on communication or education, teaching at formal institutions or in informal settings, and/or who require affiliation for the submission of grant proposals for activities communication and/or education.
Affiliation as a specialist in science communication and/or education is reserved primarily for those who have completed doctoral (PhD) and other professional level degrees (MD, JD/JSD, etc.). However, we are willing to consider applications from outstanding applicants who have completed Masters level academic degrees as well. Applicants with a proven record of work in the realms of science communication, education, and community engagement are preferred.
Those who are accepted into our Science Communication & Education track are expected to abide by our Code of Ethics and to have thoroughly read and understood our expectations for BMSIS Specialists in Science Communication & Education.
Requirements for Affiliate Applications
- Candidates must submit an application. We use different applications, depending on the track to which you wish to apply. Please use the correct link below that best fits the track to which you would like apply:
- We will require two letters of recommendation that comment on your commitment to both scientific excellence and community engagement. Letters must be submitted using a form. Please send the following link to your recommenders so that they can submit the form on your behalf: http://recommend.bmsis.org/
Please note the following:
- One letter must be from a current BMSIS scientist who can speak to your work as well as how you would fit within our community
- The other letter can be from a colleague or mentor not affiliated with BMSIS
- Candidates with existing projects that would benefit from our 501(c)(3) non-profit status are particularly encouraged to apply. However, please note that we cannot fast track or immediately review any applications to fit a current deadline for a grant proposal or other deadline that you might have.
- Application materials will be distributed to the BMSIS Review Committee (composed of select BMSIS scientists)
- Successful candidates will be invited to interview with the organization. Upon successful acceptance into the institution, a candidate may then become an Affiliate Research Scientist or a Science Communication & Education Affiliate with BMSIS.
- If you should have questions about our application process or need support, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.